The 17th Century brought the beginning of Christianity to this mission. The small Chapel dedicated to Master Dolorosa is a witness thereof. The present history commences from the time of Fr.K.joseph who constructed the Parish Church deticated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1921.After him Fr. M. F. Xavier, Thomas and Hayes each in turn guiding the destines of the Parish. Rev. Fr. Ter Beek of the Mill-Hill Fathers renovated the Chruch and founded many of the present existing Parish Associations. He was the first to start the Redemptorist Missions. Msgr. J.Puthet's time was a spiritual renewal. In the year 1953, Arakonam was under the Archdiocese of Madras came to be a part of Vellore, the new Diocese. Very.Rev. Fr.S. Ignatius, the Vicar General of the Diocese, took over the Parish from Msgr. J. Puthet and began constructing the Grotto. It was he who brought in the Bon Secours Sisters to establish their Convent cum school. Msgr. Menezes and after him Fr. Thomas George used the Double Decker extension for various activities of the Parish . He had renewed the Refectory too. He is the Founder of the English Medium School. Fr. Fernandes and the many assistants were all Praiseworthy for the contributions of their efforts to make the Parish, spiritually and socially, a real Parish among the other Parishes.
Updated on: [January 28, 2019]