St. Mary’s Matriculation Higher Secondary School is a Catholic Institution meant primarily for Catholics but open to students of other faith, with special reference to the poor, established by the Congregation of the Sisters of ST. Joseph of Cluny, which had its headquarters at Trichy. It is owned by the Educational Institute of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, Cuddalore – a body registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and having its Registered Office at Cuddalore.
Blessed ANNE MARIE JAVOUHEY (1770-1851), urged by the desire to seek, find and accomplish the will of God founded the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, in Cluny (France) under the patronage of St. Joseph. In fulfilling the will of God revealed to her by special intervention to God, she went beyond the boundaries of France to Africa and Mana (South America). At Mana, she was the pioneer for the liberation of African slaves (apartheid). Her daughters scattered over the five continents, imbued with the same zeal, carried on her mission in the social, medical and educational field.
In 1827, the first three Cluny sisters came to Pondicherry. They were followed, three years later, by Mother Rosalie Javouhey, Anne Marie’s youngest sister. In accordance with the spirit of the Founders, they launched out into social, medical and educational fields. To impart sound moral, spiritual, human and social values to the students; for life, and to prepare them for their respective roles in society; schools were established.
Updated on: [September 07, 2018]