Our Lady of Dolours Primary school was started in June, 1940, by Mgr. George Fernandes for the benefit of the underprivileged boys of the Parish. The school got the Recognition of the B.M.C and was registered as Our Lady of Dolours Parish – School Trust. Classes were first held in Mohamed Mansion, Gokhale Rd. South, and later to three rooms on the ground floor of the Ekbal Bldg. The first Head Mistress was Mrs. Ida Lawrence, followed by Ms. Elizabeth Lobo. Fr. George was transferred to Bulsar. Mgr. Vaz took over the school and thus, it became the Parish school. Fr. F.A. Mascarenhas was the Principal, followed by Fr. Theo Pereira and Fr. Frax Pereira. The school had gradually shifted to the church premises - the hall where meetings were held, and later when the nuns shifted (to Prabhadevi) from the building occupied by the convent girls school, all the classes were held in this building (1958). Fr. Frax who was Principal at that time, was to be transferred. He was of the opinion that secondary section of the school was necessary, Mgr. Vaz agreed and the secondary section, Class 5th was started on June 6, 1962.
Updated on: [December 15, 2017]