St. Thomasí Girlsí School is the oldest school in Kolkata and the second oldest in India. We are a family that believes in sharing and caring, while preparing our students as future global citizens of tomorrow, taking our country to greater horizons. We focus on the holistic development of the girl child, inculcating in our students the right values required for a country to develop, while accepting the challenges that lie ahead.
St. Thomasí School, founded in the year 1789 for the English community of Calcutta is the oldest school in West Bengal and the second oldest in India. It traces it its direct antecedents back in 1729 as the Charity School. The President of India is its Patron, and its affairs are controlled by a strong and influential Board of Governors as determined by the St. Thomasí School Act of 1923.
His Grace, the Bishop of Calcutta is the Chairman of the Board of Governors. The Master of the Calcutta Traders Association is also an ex-officio member. The Board has representatives from the Government of West Bengal, the Bengal Chamber of Commerce, and the Anglo Indian Association, the Vestries of St. Paulís Cathedral, St. Johnís Church and St. Stephenís Church. There are five co-opted members who include elected representatives of the five teaching staffs..
Updated on: [September 30, 2018]