Holy Child School shines at the Zenith of Krishnanagar radiating the light of Knowledge and Virtue to thousands of young children of Guwahati.
St. John Bosco, the great educator, started the Salesian Congregation for guiding the misled youth of the times. Prompted by the same desire to help the girls who till then had not received any proper guidance, Mary Mazarello, as an active and creative Holy Child Schoolcollaborator of Don Bosco co-founded the institute of the Salesian sisters in 1872 at Mornese ( Italy). A new child was born to the institute during its centenary year 1972. Thus Holy Child School was started to cater to more young children of the city especially of the neighbourhood.
North East India had the fortune of having the first batch of 6 Salesian sisters arriving in Pandu, Guwahati on December 8, 1923 and on February 2, 1924 they began the St. Mary’s School with only six children in a dilapidated thatched structure, amidst much hardship and difficulties. The sisters had to undergo a lot of trouble and humiliation in opening the school because female education was not encouraged then. It was a gradual progress overcoming all hurdles and in 1961 departmental permission to open higher classes was granted and from then onwards the students appeared as Regular Candidates in the H.S.L.C Examination. The number of students steadily increased making it necessary to add extra classrooms. At the same time the pressure for admissions was on the increase from all sides.
Thus the full pledged St. Mary’s High School at the centre of Guwahati has proudly extended its wings through St. Mary’s High School Maligaon in 1967 and Holy Child School in 1972.
The school gradually grew from strength to strength. Additional buildings were added to cater to more students. Today the School caters to over 1500 students. The first batch of students appeared in the H.S.L.C Examination in 1981 securing 100% pass with flying colours. Then onwards the students have excelled in the H.S.L.C Examination and are well placed in society.
Today, Holy Child School stands in the heart of the city as a symbol of excellence. Keeping with the requirements of the time, the sisters together with the dedicated teachers impart quality education and promote integral development forming the young into honest and responsible citizens.
The dream of upgrading Holy Child School to Higher Secondary School to enable the young girls to continue their formation in their critical period of the time was realized on 15th July 2008 with a small group of 17 students in a simple but meaningful ceremony. The necessary permission to open the Arts and Science stream from the Assam Higher Secondary Education Council was sought and obtained. The number of students admitted to H.S. saw a gradual increase. There was a request from parents/guardians to switch over to CBSE pattern of Education for a very long period of time. This dream was realized when the school obtained Composite Provisional Affiliation upto Senior Secondary level under switch over category by CBSE Affiliation No. 230120 in October 2012.
Updated on: [November 13, 2018]