Shiv Shikshan Sanstha’s D.S. High School, originally named ‘Sion English School’ began its incredible journey by way of a humble beginning in the year 1939. This year (2014-2015) is the 75th Anniversary year of this institution.
Established with the sole purpose of making quality education available easily to the privileged and the under privileged locals equally, the school, the students and the teachers have gathered many accolades and awards for various accomplishments. It was in the year 1946 that Shri Dharmaprakash Srinivasayya, the owner of Mysore Soap Factory contributed heavily to the development of the School at the current location. In respect to his generosity, the school was renamed as Dharmaprakash Srinivasayya High School (D. S. High School).
Those were the days when there was no school in the entire Sion, Dharavi, Kurla, Chunabhatti and Matunga localities. Children from these areas had to go to Dadar to attend school. One day, a school girl lost her life after being hit by a truck near Sion station, while on her way to school. This accident brought home the implications of non-availability of schooling facilities in such a big premise of Mumbai. Moved by this incident, a few old, renowned residents of Sion, Late Shri Babasaheb Deshpande, Late Shri Annasaheb Navare, Late Shri Dhavale and Late Shri Raosaheb Dalvi decided to start a school in Sion. Thus came to existence, Sion English School in the 2 rooms of Shri Jogalekar at Laxmi Baug, Sion with one student and one teacher Shri M D. Kulkarni sir. By the end of that academic year, the school had 16 students.
Updated on: [December 15, 2017]