BRIEF HISTORY OF GOETHALS MEMORIAL SCHOOL, KURSEONG.
On the death of Paul Goethals, Archbishop of Calcutta, in July 1901 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Calcutta commemorated his memory by the establishment of an educational institution for boys in Kurseong (Darjeeling Dist., West Bengal).
In February 1907 classes started in the building erected by the first Principal, Br. M.S. O'Brien (1907-1914). The number of boys in residence was 110. The official opening took place on 30 April 1907. Lt. General, Sir Andrew Fraser formally opened the school. There were 110 boys in school on the opening day.
The first prospectus had in view the affiliation of the School to the Shibpur Engineering College, Calcutta. However, the Sub Overseer Course did not fit with the needs of the pupils and was dropped in favour of the Cambridge Locals. The school was affiliated with the University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate, U.K. until the 1970s when the school switched to the Indian Certificate of Secondary Education curriculum. The affiliation of the school to the Council for the Indian School certificate Examinations is thus considered to be from November 1958.
Updated on: [February 22, 2019]