Holy Cross School, a minority institution under Article 30 of Indian Constitution was established in1971 and is administered by the Sisters of the Cross of Chavanod, a registered charitable society. The school is under the religious jurisdiction of the Catholic Bishop of Varanasi.
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Cross was founded by Mother Claudine Echernier and Father Peter Mermier in 1838 at Chavanod in France, in the 19th Century. As a result of French Revolution, ignorance, misery and poverty prevailed. The deplorable situation of the young girls touched the heart of Mother Claudine Echernier. Strengthened by the love of Christ who gave his life for the salvation of all and inspired by the courage of Mary at the foot of the Cross. Mother Claudine involved herself in eradicating ignorance and misery. With the support of Fr. Peter Mermier, Mother started this congregation, dedicated to serve the needy and to educate the youth to transform the society.
Updated on: [October 05, 2017]