Swami Vivekananda mentions that education is the panacea for all the ills of the world and that our work should be mainly on moral and spiritual lines. Swami Vivekananda sent his brother disciple, Swami Ramakrishnananda, to carry out the missionary activities in Chennai. A primary school exclusively for girls was started by Swami Ramakrishnananda in the backward area of Mint at North Madras in the year 1906.
During the years 1948-50, there were several requests from the people of North Madras locality to start a high school mainly for girls. A plot of 8 grounds, where the school now exists, was purchased in due course and the high school was started during the birth centenary of Swami Vivekananda, in 1962. In the first batch of Class VIII, seventeen girls studied in the Tamil medium section.
Since the year 1990, English Medium classes were introduced in addition to the already functioning Tamil medium sections. The school has now been upgraded as Higher Secondary School with Science and Commerce group. Higher Secondary section was opened by Swami Gautamananda ji Maharaj on 6th June 2008. Government grants are not extended to the higher secondary section. Therefore, the Math bears the entire expenditure including the teacherís salary to run this higher secondary section of the school.
The school celebrated its Golden Jubilee in the year 2012. As of now, 4675 girls have passed Xth standard and 500 girls have passed XIIth standard public exams studying from the school. Several of our students bring laurels to the school working now as Doctors, Engineers, Educationist, IT professionals, Police personnel, Bank employees, and Sports persons.
Updated on: [September 30, 2018]