St. Margaret’s Hr. Secondary School is a private Catholic Educational Institution established and administered by the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians (MSMHC). North-East India, a body registered under the Societies Registration Act XII of 1893 (No. SR/ MSOMHOC – 55/90 of 1990). The school was established on 15 February 1967, primarily for the Catholic students, but is opened to all, irrespective of castes, communities, tribes or religions.
The congregation of the Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians was founded on October 24, 1942 by His grace Archbishop Stephen Ferrando SDB, the then Bishop of the Arch-diocese of Shillong – Guwahati. Seeing the abject misery, lack of educational facilities, poor health conditions and shallow faith of the people in God, he was inspired to found a congregation of dedicated and committed women who will reach out to the far flung villages of North East India and elsewhere in the world to be the messengers of Good News and hope, bringing light of faith, education and health care to the less privileged. The congregation has more than 200 centers spread in various parts of India, Southern and Northern Africa, Italy and USA. The members of the congregations are engaged in running schools (formal and non-formal educational institutions, Pre-schools and education for the differently abled), boarding houses, oratories, dispensaries, mobile health clinics and homes for the aged, orphans and street children, vocational training centers and Rehabilitation centers for the disabled and HIV/AIDS patients.
Updated on: [August 22, 2018]