Lord Mayo held a Durbar in Ajmer in 1870 where he enunciated the idea of opening a school for the ruling families of Rajputana. Sir Pratap Singhji Bahadur attended the Durbar and brought the idea to Marwar of opening a school for the Rajput community. Mayo College opened in 1875 while Chopasni School opened in 1914 for imparting education to Rajput boys to prepare them for the Armed Forces and Allied Services in contrast to Mayo College, which catered to Ruling Chiefs.
Mayo College was modelled on the lines of progressive independent schools in UK which would develop among the students esprit de corps, building of character and spirit of chivalry, fair-play and straight dealings. An education laced with value systems of Justice-Prudence-Temperance and Fortitude. Chopasni School was opened for regular Rajput boys where Spartan living, virtues of layalty and chivalry were emphasized and so produced a Victoria Cross and a MVC and many worthy officers in the Armed Forces. Mayo Adopted the "Peacock" as a symbol while Chopasni adopted the "Eagle" But both adopted the motto : "TAMSO MAA JYOTIRGAMAYA".
The streams of Mayoor and Chopasni met in 2012 when Mayo College General Council accepted the offer of Chopasni Shiksha Samiti to take over, on a Management Contract, the running of a Day School on their premises. Patron of the two schools H.H. MaharajaGaj Singhji accepted the arrangements. The opening of an English Medium Co-Ed School from Nursery to XII in the beautiful heritage premises of Chopasni came through with the signing of a MOU on 19.01.2012. Mayoor Chopasni School came into existence on 16.07.2012 with 900+ children from nursery to VII and 62 staff members.
Updated on: [January 16, 2018]