The word ‘Chinmaya’ means ‘true knowledge’. With this desire, the ‘Chinmaya’ experience of education started off as an ‘experiment in education’ matured into the ‘Chinmaya Vision of Education’ and concretized as the ‘Chinmaya Education Movement’. The movement is one of Chinmaya Mission’s most valuable contributions to society. From its humble beginnings on May 20, 1965, in Kollengode, Kerala(India), it now encompasses over 88 Chinmaya Schools and Colleges, the Chinmaya International Residential School(CIRS) in India, and the first Chinmaya Vidyalaya outside India’s borders, in Trinidad (West Indies).
The Chinmaya Educational Institutions are affiliated to universities and international (International Baccalaureate - IB), central (CBSE, ICSE) or state Boards of Education, guaranteeing high quality education. They have excellent infrastructure with up-to-date equipment, which enables effective teaching. Schools in the rural areas cater to the needs of the local people. Inspired Principals, dedicated teachers, supportive management and cooperative parents head these institutions. Chinmaya Vidyalayas are 'schools with a difference' for they have unique holistic vision programmes that create students with a difference. Its key features include the following:
• Visionary Management: To provide a clear vision, firm foundation of learning, strategic planning for growth and efficient management of resources
• Inspiring Principals: To develop principle-centred principals who are inspired by the overall vision of Chinmaya Vidyalayas, and who step up as movers and shakers to lead their institution to nobler heights
• Dedicated Teachers: To recognize and develop the crux of the institution by continuously motivating their love for knowledge, teaching, and children, so that they may effectively and lovingly, inculcate academics, skills, values and philosophy to the next generation
• Cooperative Parents: To help parents be an ideal, hands-on, integral support base for their children, offering them extensive love, care, and joy, resulting in their healthy and integrated personality development
• Students with a Difference: Students who learn, imbibe, and live the Chinmaya Vidyalaya vision of Knowledge, Spirit of Service, and Efficiency.
Nearing 50 years of establishment, growth, and expansion, the Chinmaya Mission’s academeic institutions in India, administered by the CCMT(Central Chinmaya Mission Truist) Education Cell have seen over one million students walk through their halls and graduate through their doors. We belong to a big family with more than 1,00000 students enrolled, with more than 5,000 dedicated faculty members, and over 1,000 administrative staff members.
Updated on: [November 28, 2017]