You would be proud to learn that our school, popularly known as Kashmere Gate Bangla School, is the first recognized Bengali School in Delhi (founded on 23rd February 1899). The school started with only 40 students and a Teacher. The teacher was Mr Karayan Das, who volunteered himself and took two hours class in the morning before going to his place of work, namely ‘Kartarak & Company’ located in Chandani Chowk. Mr Narayan Das was joined by Pandit Net Ram Ji a year later in 1900. Panditji continued till early 1930s. Panditji was not a Bengali but was well versed in the language. After few years Mr Pearson, a British gentlemen, joined the school and taught English till 1933. Mr Anupama Taran was the first lady teacher to be appointed in our school in the year 1952 and she continued till her retirement. Our school shall remain very fortunate to have a Sanskrit Scholar and great astrologer in Pandit Jitendra Mohan Bhattacharya (Pandit Moshai) as one of its Teacher.
In 1899, our school started its cherished journey in a very humble manner at rented accommodation in Katra Masrut in Dariba Kalan. Later the school was shifted from there to a building adjoining the ‘Satya Narayan Mandir’ in Esplanade near Chandni Chowk and then to Hamilton Road. After that it moved in to Church Road, Kashmere Gate near historic St James Church. The school stayed in the Church Road premises for 40 years approx and finally, in the year 1961, moved to its present and permanent premises at Alipur road (now Shamnath Marg), Civil Lines, Delhi.
Updated on: [July 25, 2017]